Adventures, Stories, and of course... PICTURES!!!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Great Pumpkin Patch...

Well, I am officially ashamed of my pumpkin-growing abilities, but I promised full disclosure....

It wasn't pretty - I got fed up with watering them after the bugs came along, then I had grand plans of  'planting' small pumpkins, then having them 'grow' into larger ones to carve.  But alas, Sam found me out!  He would bring me the little pumpkins when we would play outside and tell me that we had pumpkins!  I would tell him not to pick them so they could grow - to which he would reply, "But they weren't attached!"  Darn it!  I can't even fool a 4-yr-old!!!!!

BUUUUUT....... I have hope! Jenny read my blog then remembered me when she went on a field trip with her daughter to none other than a pumpkin patch!  She said that she learned that most home-growers don't have luck with growing pumpkins because they don't have enough bees to pollinate them!  THAT WAS MY PROBLEM!!!!  Not the bugs, lack of water, or lack of care!  So next year (will there be a next year for pumpkins!?), I will need to uses a Q-Tip to pollinate the pumpkin flowers.... that should be interesting explaining the birds and the bees... and pollination to a 5-yr-old!!!!!!  We shall see....

Until next year - consider this chapter of FINE pumpkin-growing CLOSED!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment